The Day I Became My Own Patient: Lessons on Balancing Mind, Body, and Soul
Hello, old friend.
It has been a long time since I sat down to write. It’s funny how life gets so loud that we forget to whisper to ourselves. But these blogs have always been my little safe space—a digital diary where I can unpack the noise and find my footing again. If you are reading this, welcome back to my corner of the internet.
Today, I want to talk about something that has been weighing heavily on my heart (and my mind) for the last few years: Mental Health. Specifically, the elusive quest for balancing the mind, body, and soul.
The Irony of the Healer Who Wasn’t Healing
If you’ve been around for a while, you know that 2020 was a turning point for me. It was the year I crashed—hard. I experienced a mental burnout so severe that it resulted in hallucinations and eventually, being admitted to a psych ward.
Now, here is the kicker, and I still laugh (or cry) at the irony: at the time, I was actually working on an employee wellness program. My job was literally to teach other people how to balance their work lives, deal with stress, and look after their mental health. Oh, boy. I was the epitome of the "blind leading the blind."
I was so busy writing the guidebook for everyone else's recovery that I refused to read the signs in my own life. It took a complete breakdown for me to realize a painful truth: You cannot wait for someone else to save you. You cannot outsource your wellness to a job title or a corporate policy. You have to do it for yourself.
My Awakening
Since that experience, my life has taken a 180-degree turn. I have developed a deep, burning passion for mental health, emotional support, spiritual well-being, and employee wellness. It’s no longer just a "task" for me; it’s a mission.
I’ve had to rebuild my life from the ground up, and in doing so, I’ve distilled my journey into three crucial lessons that I want to share with you.
1. Balance is Not a Perfect Routine (It’s a Flexible Practice)
Society tells us that balance is a 5 AM wake-up, a green smoothie, and a perfectly scheduled day. I am here to tell you that is a lie. True balance is about reflection and planning your days to suit you.
It means looking at your calendar and asking, "Where am I actually scheduling rest?" We often think of breaks, eating, and moving our bodies as "luxuries" we can get to after we finish our work. But they are necessities. They are the foundation. If you don’t plan to rest, your body will eventually force you to stop—and trust me, you don't want it to get to the point it got to for me.
2. Movement is Medicine (And Dance is My Church)
You cannot separate your physical health from your mental health. Moving your body is non-negotiable for the mind, body, and soul. For me, that movement is dance.
As a dance fitness instructor, my classes have become my healing ground. When I walk into that room, I leave my worries at the door. I encourage my students to do the same—to relax, let loose, and have a good time without judgment. It’s not about getting the choreography perfect; it’s about letting the rhythm release the stress that is trapped inside. Find your "dance." Find whatever movement makes you feel alive and free.
3. Nourish Your Temple (Prayer & Food)
Finally, we have to feed our souls. For me, this means prayer and meditation. It means taking a moment to quiet the noise and connect with a higher power and with my own inner voice.
But it also means nourishing your physical body with good food. I truly believe your body is a temple, and you wouldn't put low-quality fuel in a high-performance car. Eating well isn't about dieting; it's about respecting the vessel that carries you through this life.
The Takeaway
Recovery isn't linear. Some days I feel completely balanced, and other days I feel like I'm back at square one. But now, I have the tools.
If you are reading this and you are tired, overworked, or feeling like you are running on empty, please take this as your sign. Look at your calendar right now. Block out 30 minutes for lunch. Schedule a 10-minute walk. Put your phone on silent for five minutes and just breathe.
Do it for yourself, because no one else will do it for you.
Thank you for letting me share my heart today. It feels good to be back in this space.
With love and healing,
Poelano Sikhosana
(She is nourished )

Comments
Post a Comment